Hello Everybody

Welcome! This blog will cover my study abroad in Belgium! I hope you find it interesting, enjoyable, and fun. Please feel free to contact me with any questions/comments via e-mail. If you have any problems with the blog please let me know.
Lauren

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I've been in Belgium for one month!!

There has been a request to describe everyday life; so I will try my best. But first some news that isn't everyday life: I rode a horse! That's right last weekend I tried horseback riding. I was really scared; but it was lots of fun. I also started tennis lessons with a few people from my school. Today was the first day; but I think I am going to continue. A normal school day: I generally wake up around 6:15 and take a shower. Then I go downstairs and but baguettes in the oven for making sandwiches for lunch. If the dishwasher is clean I'll unload it; otherwise I set the table for breakfast. By about 7:15 we're all eating breakfast and making sandwiches for lunch. Papa drives Eloise and I to a friends house and from there the mom drives us to school (about 20 minutes). Once we get to school; we say hello to all our friends and the bell rings at 8:20 for the start of classes. When the bell rings to start class everyone stands for the teacher until we're told to sit down. During class I generally don't understand anything. In a few classes; yes but for the most part the teachers talk too fast and don't write much on the blackboard; so I often look at other people's notes after class and during study halls I spend lots of time looking up words I don't know. At ten o' clock there is a 15 minute snack break. I generally eat a granola bar or fruit. We return to class for 2-3 more classes and then at either 12 or 12:50 is lunch; depending on your schedule for the day. Lunch is until 1:30 and afterwards I have 3 classes. At 4:00 school is over and I meet up with Eloise after school and we walk to the train station (about 15 minutes). The train comes at 4:25. We take the train for about 10 minutes then switch trains and it is about another 10 minutes before we arrive at the station in Marche. Maman usually picks us up about 5 minutes after we start walking home. In the afternoons I usually do my homework; play piano and help prepare dinner. Some days I clean my room; watch TV; read; go to my other french course; etc. Dinner is generally after 6 because of various activities that everyone has. After dinner; I wash dishes with Eloise and then finish my homework; watch TV; or play piano. I get ready for bed between 9:30 and 10 and then everything repeats. The food is different; but I haven't tried anything that I really; really dislike. We eat lots of different kinds of meat; but for the most part everything is yummy. Some of my favorite dishes are pita sandwiches (not Belgian; though); leek and potato soup; beef with carrot and potato puree; and zuchinni and carrot soup. We eat dessert almost everyday so some of my favorites are chocolate pear cake and pear cheesake. Currently apples; pears; and zuchinni are ready for harvesting; so that is what we eat with everything. Soon we switch to pumpkins. Also all the wild berries are ripe so we've made about 20 pints of jam from wild cherries and elderberries. I will write more about the house and village later; but this is really long; so I think it is time for a break.

No comments: